Sunday, December 30, 2012

Tutorial: Artichoke Hummus

I love hummus, and I love artichokes. While cooking bores me to tears, it was only a matter of time before I came up with a recipe to combine the two.




Supplies:
So, for those of you who need specific measurements, hold on a sec, I'll make some up. I do it till it feels right--very unscientific.

  1. Artichokes
  2. Lime juice: at least a teaspoon
  3. Red pepper: I like it spicy--so I use about 3 pinches
  4. Black Pepper: Same as the red
  5. Garlic cloves to taste (we like a LOT--so I usually do 3-4)
  6. Note: the Sabra is a 10 oz container of roasted garlic flavor. Regular flavor is usually what I get, but I was low on garlic cloves, so it worked out.
  7. Cheese: Mozz & Parm mix, and a smattering of Feta
  8. Crackers: I like Reduced Fat Wheat Thins best
  9. Garlic crusher
  10. 10 minutes of valuable time to prepare the goodness
  11. 20-25 minutes of patience to wait until it's done 
  12. Oven :)





Step 1: Set oven to 350

Step 2: Drain
Drain the can                      Drain the artichoke

Step 3: I tear the head from the leaves, so that the artichokes disperse more evenly around the food processor blade.


Step 4: Start spicing things up.

Lime Juice, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Garlic

Freebie: To lose the skin from the garlic without losing your sanity as well, push down on the clove with the side of your knife blade--just until you hear it crack. the outside layers will peel off much easier.



Step 5: Pulse your processor. I only push the pulse button twice, for about a second each time. You want your artichokes to still be pretty chunky, so they don't pulverize when you blend in the hummus.


Step 6: Drop in your hummus, and pulse until loosely blended. Again, you don't want to puree this stuff. Spread it in your baking dish.


Step 7: Lightly cheese. Or, depending on how much you like cheese, I suppose you could heavily cheese.


Step 8: Set your timer to 20-25 minutes (this batch took a full 25 for me).


I had time to decorate for our dinner party, and innovate a warmer, more muted source of light for the dining room.



Step 9: Take it out. I don't remove the dip until I see a light browning on the top surface.


Step 10: Eat!


Super easy, and it never survives a party intact. Let me know how you like it.
chesha

I'll be posting here:
-->
Monday:




Tuesday:




Wednesday:




Thursday:




Friday





Sunday:




1 comment: