Saturday, November 30, 2013

When Pigs Fly: A Babied Up Christmas

Every year since moving into this home, I've made a new set of ornaments. The first year our lack of dollars inspired me. Since, the feeling of something homespun and unique brings me back to the tradition. Now, as the momma of a 3 month old, I wanted the ornaments to represent this new special place in life.




Year one: Giant snowflakes (I happily regressed to kindergarten)

This one my husband made, and it's the only one used this year.
The next: Book page roses

True story: one of these has the f-bomb on it.
Gotta be careful what book you buy at Goodwill.
Last year: Felt bows

The camera RE.FUSED. to take a clear picture of these.
This year: Salt Dough
I wanted to make salt dough ornaments for several years, but felt intimidated by a process most kids accomplish by middle school. Go figs. For my Chesha twist, I decorated them with my stamp creations, or my daughter. You'll see what I mean.

Never expected to want a child, let alone have one.
So, the year pigs fly has occurred!
Stamp tutorial here.







My absolute Favorite:
Valentine's piggy toes.
Also, DIY make your baby mad as hell.
The end result:

humble and home

The Do It YOURself portion: for what it's worth, I used the basic recipe found here.

Or, to save you a click:
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of salt (tip: pulse it in a food processor, briefly, to make it extra fine)
1/2 cup of warm water
White paint if you wish

Significant differences: I added about a tablespoon of white acrylic paint. I used a coffee stirrer to punch out my holes. This will warp the dough less than a toothpick or solid object. Also, I cooked them at 200 degrees for about 6 hours. To create the hearts, I simply used a sharp knife and cut my shape. These I had to sand after baking to get rid of crumbly edges. Various bottles and boxes served as our cutters for the rectangles and circles.

Final Shot:


Posting here:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday

Sunday:

No comments:

Post a Comment